What is Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy (CRRT)
As the name suggest, it is a type of blood dialysis which is done continuously, over hours to days.
Critically ill patients have multiple complications and often have low blood pressure. In such patients regular Hemodialysis therapy can actually worsen the condition by further lowering the blood pressure so in such patients there is a need of gentle renal replacement therapy which removes extra water and waste more smoothly.
In CRRT, (slow form of Hemodialysis) the blood is taken out slowly and pumped through a hemofilter (artificial kidney)- special dialysis.
Types of CRRT
1. Continuous venovenous Hemodialysis.
2. Continuous venovenous Hemofiltration
3. Continuous venovenous Hemodiafiltration
How is it done
It is done with special ‘CRRT’ machines like, Hemodialysis, CRRT also needs Vascular catheters. Through this catheters blood is taken out at slow rate and run through the special dialysis or hemofilter. Also, the cleansing fluid with specific composition is used to clean the blood.
Benefits of CRRT
1. Gentle fluid removed over longer duration.
2. Removes waste slowly.
3. Can be done with very low blood pressure.
4. Maintains blood pressure
5. Allows better nutrition management.
6. Brain friendly.
7. Useful in severe infections- sepsis also removes pro and anti-inflammatory cytokines.
TEN Steps to healthy kidneys
1. Regular exercise.
2. Meticulous blood sugar control
3. Keep blood pressure under control
4. Eat healthy food
5. Eat less salt and sugar
6. Stay at an ideal weight
7. Drink plenty of fluids
8. Quit smoking and tobacco
9. Avoid pain killers
10. Get your kidneys checked regularly